Field Visit: Aadhaar and Pastoralists
The Pastoralists and Aadhaar project is a study about how nomadic pastoralists interact with Aadhaar and are likely to benefit from, or be excluded by, Aadhaar. The study proposes a detailed survey of individuals engaged in nomadic pastoralism as well as focus group discussions with members of nomadic pastoralist communities.
The study was initiated on the ground with workshops held in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat, organized by DIRI (ISB)) in collaboration with Center for Pastoralism, Sahjeevan along with local partners in each state. The purpose of the workshops was primarily to pilot the survey questionnaire and to identify specific locations (villages) where the survey and the group discussions could be carried out. The participants were nomadic pastoralists, contacted and invited by partner organizations.
The first workshop was conducted in Himachal Pradesh, at the Sambhaavana Institute, Palampur, Kangra, on the 4th and 5th of January 2018. The workshop was attended by 40 participants, pastoralists from mainly Kangra, Chamba, Kullu and Sirmaur districts of Himachal Pradesh. Most of the participants were also part of the Ghumantoo Pashupalak Sangh, a civil society body that represents the interests of nomadic pastoralists.
The second workshop was conducted in Gujarat, at the premises, Gopnaad, of the local partner, Maldhari Rural Action Group (MARAG) which works with pastoralists in Gujarat on the 9th and 10th of February 2018. The workshop was attended by 27 participants, few non-migratory/erstwhile migratory pastoralists, amongst nomadic pastoralists from Banas Kantha, Dwarka, Bhavnagar, Kachchh, Patan, Rajkot and Sabar Kantha districts of Gujarat.
LATEST NEWS ON AADHAAR
- UIDAI CEO AB Pandey appointed as next Revenue Secretary
- Delhi chief secy moved to Centre, UIDAI chief becomes new revenue secy
- UIDAI CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey to replace Hasmukh Adhia as Revenue Secretary
- UIDAI CEO to replace Hasmukh Adhia as new Revenue Secretary
- Hasmukh Adhia to Retire on November 30, UIDAI’s Ajay Bhushan Pandey Likely to Take Over as Revenue Secy
- Aadhaar Can Be India’s Wall Against Illegal Immigrants, Says Top Official | Read
- PFRDA wants UIDAI to treat APY at par with govt benefit schemes
- PFRDA urges UIDAI to treat Atal Pension Yojana at par with government benefit schemes