Authentication Failure in Aadhaar Enabled Public Distribution System (AePDS) of Andhra Pradesh (AP)
Public Distribution System (PDS) in Andhra Pradesh is Aadhaar enabled wherein for entitlement of benefits, the identity of the beneficiary is established by utilizing the ‘Aadhaar authentication framework’. The ‘Authentication’ takes place at the Fair Price Shop (FPS) where an individual eligible to receive the subsidized food grains is required to furnish the proof of possession of Aadhaar number and undergo Aadhaar authentication. The focus of this study is to examine the Aadhaar authentications of ration card holders in Andhra Pradesh for the first fortnight of December 2017.
The Aadhaar authentication attempts for 3.77 M ration cards were made in Andhra Pradesh’s PDS between 1st and 16th December 2017. Out of these, 94,030 ration cards failed Aadhaar authentication. The highest number of authentication failures occurred in the East Godavari district, with 14,307 authentication failures. The average authentication failure rate for the state (of all active cards) was 2.5%. Failure rates of four districts are above the state’s average, namely Vizianagaram (3.5%), East Godavari (3.1%), Vishakhapatnam (3.2%) and Srikakulam (3.1%).
LATEST NEWS ON AADHAAR
- ‘Govt. should frame norms to protect Aadhaar data’
- Fingerprints, Aadhaar and Law Enforcement – A Deadly Cocktail Is in the Making
- Aadhaar Database For Rs. 500 Probe Leads To Surat District Magistrate’s Office
- Separate biometric ID for 40 lakh not included in Assam’s NRC: Centre
- ‘Aadhaar chimeras threat to national security’
- UIDAI is Hiring! Apply For Senior Manager (IEC) Job For Aadhaar Project, Know Eligibility & Qualification
- Gates and Snowden contrast on Aadhaar
- Iris-Scanning Tablets Enable Aadhaar-based Banking